Happy it’s-my-birthday-month! Is there a better way to celebrate than to go through last month’s stats?
Yes. There must be.
Nonetheless, that’s what we’re going to do!
As you hopefully haven’t noticed, I completely ruined my blog this month. Destroyed it.
Everything was gone.
Although I’ve cried and complained about it a lot, I’ve yet to explain what really happened. Because that’s what I do – tell everybody about the stupid stuff I did, and hopefully somebody will learn from my mistakes.
Lesson 1: ALWAYS back up your site.
Obviously, everybody knows that.
Lesson 2: Know how to properly back up your site.
This is where I went wrong.
If you’re on WordPress like me, there are two things you need to do.
- Back up your files via your FTP-client or file managing system
- Back up your SQL database – in a way that you can restore the backup afterwards
- This varies depending on your hosting provider and hosting type, so make sure to read their help documents carefully (and contact support if you have questions)
For some reason, I couldn’t restore my database – which includes pretty much everything but your theme. All your customizations, posts, and so on. I was lucky I had recently exported all my posts, including images as a secondary form of backup. If I hadn’t, I would have lost everything permanently.
I’m forever grateful to the Internet Gods that I was able to get my site back up in a couple of days.
So remember kids – always back up your site. And know how to restore it when time comes!
Now let’s break down the blog traffic of July!
Most read posts in June
Most discussed posts from June
Most shared posts from June
It’s always fun to see the mix of post that show up on these lists. I’m not surprised to see my blogging posts have been doing better than my health ones, as that was what I focused more on writing and promoting. But I want to change that in August!
July was a pretty steady month – and as you can see on the graph, I lost a couple of days’ data thanks to the server problems.
I’m a bit shocked to see how few posts I’ve made this month. Though I was on vacation, that wasn’t the reason – I had planned for that! What I hadn’t planned was forgetting my laptop charger, and well, destroying my blog.
There’s no way it can go that wrong this month, is there?
June Blog Traffic Sources
What I did different this month
- Posted less: This seemed to have a negative effect on my traffic, especially as health and fitness related posts were sparse this month. I’ll include more of that in my August editorial calendar.
- Tumblr: A fairly significant dive in referrals this month. I blame the fact that my queue ran out, so I was barely posting anything for a good part of the month.
- Stumbleupon: This one made a big entrance last month – but it looks like it’s already making an exit too. I’m not gonna pretend I understand this platform, and I’m starting to think the huge traffic boost was just a random stroke of luck. That means it will be hard to replicate, so I’m not gonna bother.
- Pinterest: As I wasn’t as active on here while away, I’m glad to see my traffic didn’t suffer much.
- Made my blog Danish! This is so new, it has yet to have an impact on my traffic. But I do hope this will attract more danish readers – and that’s one of the many reasons why I decided to make Annesmiles bilingual! I still worry that the workload will get too big for me, so I try to make it in small steps.
Overall, it turns out you can go on vacation without your blog falling apart – that happens when you get and ruin everything 🙂
Have you been on vacation this summer? Did you notice a change in your stats? Let me know in the comments!