What makes you happy?
To sum up the back story: I’ve been dealing with repeated bouts of severe depression as well as other health problems for years. Recently, I had my last therapy session (possibly forever??) which I find it hard to wrap my head around.
Do I even know how to function as a ‘healthy’ human being?
How do I want to live my life when I’m not just fighting to get through each day?
One fun thing about depression is how it takes away your ability to enjoy things you loved dearly before (correction, there’s nothing fun about depression). The place your store the happy moments replaced by a void and a feeling of meaninglessness.
But I’m not depressed any more (at least for now…). And now I’m rediscovering all the amazing things life has to offer. For a time, I had forgotten how many wonderful there’s just waiting to be discovered.
This is a list of things that bring value to my life, as well as values I find important. I’m slowly uncovering more and more items on this once forgotten list, and I’ll continue to add more as I learn more about myself as a ‘recovered’ person.
- Being kind
- Reading books
- Pouring my heart out on (digital) paper
- Spending time with S
- Seeing my family
- Walking in nature
- Using my body, feeling strong – working out at the gym (on low pain days)
- Being authentically me
- Learning, growing, stimulating my brain
- Cooking a proper, nourishing meal
- Watching a good TV show
- Helping other people, being compassionate
- Taking care of my physical, mental and emotional needs
- Pursuing creative hobbies, like photography and graphic design
- I’m also consider taking up something like knitting, sewing, braiding bracelets or something similar to get another creative outlet that’s more relaxing/only for me
- Being open and accepting of others as well as myself
What adds value to your life? Let me know in the comments!
(because I could use some recommendations)