A quick list of reasons to be grateful & an exercise in finding the good in each day
Every evening at 9 pm, a little reminder pops up in my phone, telling me to write down 3 things I’m grateful for.
This is an exercise I do as part of my pursuit to have a positive mindset, even when faced with challenges from depression, anxiety and chronic pain. This is something I used to do from time to time years back – before finding the good in every day became an absolute necessity. Looking back at the little snippets of joy still warms my heart. That’s why I’ve started to make a daily lists again.
I hope this will either give you a quick injection of joy and/or inspire you to practice more gratitude in your life.
I’m grateful for…
- Time with my mom: cooking, doing a crossword. Time with my sister: reading, eating giraffe cake*
- Reading Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime (the dancing Hitler story!!)
- Waking up next to my boyfriend (which is both nice and helpful when I’m having yet another high pain day and my mood is low)
- Made cake with my mom (and ate cake + strawberries)
- Watching cute animal videos with my sister (this one and this one is some of my recent faves)
- Wrote 2 blog posts this morning! First day where I didn’t wake up nauseous, so that’s real good
- Nice day with my dad (we build a thing together + fixed my unstable bookcase)
- The puppies of Reddit
- Grateful for the support I get from my parents, especially in difficult times like this. I’d be so lost without their help.
- Boiled sweets (I think that’s the right translation). My ‘cure’ for nausea – maybe not the best medicine of choice, but short term relief is necessary sometimes.
- Dinner tonight was so good. Yup, that’s what I’m grateful for today
- Escaping into the wonderful world of books. Currently re-reading Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which probably has the most weird and wonderful world to escape into.
*Does not contain giraffes. But it kinda looks like one thanks to the mix of banana and nutella cake!
**Another little note: This was supposed to be published over a week ago, but something went wrong. Anyway, here you are.
What are you grateful for?