That really sucks. I miss squatting, lifting heavy and running.
But focusing on all the things I can’t do doesn’t help – I need to what I can, and progress will slowly but surely come.
I’ve been debating whether I wanted to share this routine with you because injuries are something that needs to be taken serious (and professional) care of. I don’t want you to read this and think these are the exercises that will be good for you because you have problems with your knee too.
Here’s just a short list of reasons why this might not be a good workout for you
- There are many different kinds of knee injuries, and they should be treated differently
- We have different fitness levels, even before the injury
- We might have different muscle imbalances that need correcting in different ways
- We respond differently to exercise and need to progress at our own speed
I want you to promise me to take care of yourself, okay?
Now let’s get to the workout. I shared this with you on my
snapchat Instagram story (I’m loving that new feature by the way, what do you think), but in case you missed it, here you go.
- Foam rolling
- Warm up on bike, 10 minutes
- Leg extension with band 3 x 12
- Focusing on good alignment and controlling the movement
- Leg curls on ball 3 x 12
- Focusing on stabilising and using both legs equally
- Elevated one leg squat 3 x 12
- With heel on a plate to put more pressure on the knee. Focus on going very slowly down. In the beginning, I did the eccentric (lowering) part on one leg, then both for the concentric (standing up) part of the exercise.
- Bosu ball lunge 3 x 12
- Again, really focus on alignment of the knee in relation to your toes, don’t let it fall inwards.
- Leg press on the machine 3 x 12
- Leg curls in machine 3 x 12
- Leg extension in machine 3 x 12
- To challenge my weak leg, I sometimes do the concentric part with both legs, then the weak leg alone for the eccentric part. Again, do the movement slowly, it’s not about going heavy.
- Ending with some more foam rolling
- And a bit of stretching
Look, I even made a little gif with the shots from my Insta-story 🙂
If you don’t know an exercise, try searching for it on Exrx.net, Bodybuilding.com, YouTube – or you know, Google is usually pretty good at finding stuff on the internet 😉
Though if you have any questions, feel free to leave it in the comments, and I’ll get back to you immediately!