All f**ks have been censored by 🦆s for the sake of overly sensitive souls.
Do you spend too much time you don’t have doing things you don’t want to do with people you don’t like?
Because I do.
What we need, is to manage our 🦆s better.
In Sarah Knight’s book, The Life-Changing Magic of not Giving a F**k, she introduces the idea of a 🦆-budget to help you spend your 🦆s in a better manner. Meaning, stop pretending to care about things you don’t so you’ll have more time, energy and money (🦆s) to use on things and people you genuinely enojy (or Spark joy as Marie Kondo probably would say*).
Without being an asshole, that is.
While the book often exaggerates for the sake of comedic effect, it does, in its essence, carry an important message: Stop trying to conform to society/other people’s expectations, stop trying to be someone you’re not to make other people like you. You deserve to feel free to be you and live your best life.
I don’t want to give away all the book’s secrets, but when you decide to read it, you’ll learn about the NotSorry-method, which involves
- Deciding what not to give a 🦆 about (the budget)
- Not giving a 🦆 about that
Therefore, I present to you, my 🦆-budget.
Things I don’t (want to) give a 🦆 about
- Being a morning person: Since I got sick, getting up in the morning is a struggle for me. So I’m gonna accept that, and plan accordingly instead of trying to force my body to work hard when it’s not ready.
- Labelling my diet: I’ll rather spend my 🦆s on eating intuitively for hunger and enjoyment.
- Alcohol & going to clubs: I don’t enjoy drinking alcohol, I have to limit my intake because of medication. While I do sometimes enjoy going out, I don’t find it it fun to be around drunk people while sober, and so I’m gonna stop feeling bad for ducking out early (this time I do mean 🦆) or not going at all.
- Bikini bodies: I don’t even own a bikini. And find the whole concept stupid.
- Wearing pants: In my own home. Which is a small room with big windows on the first floor that people walk by occassionaly. How am I supposed to relax in my own home if I’m always worrying about what people might think?
- Mindless social media scrolling: It doesn’t bring me any joy. It can actually make me feel quite inadequate at time. So why do I waste so much time on it?
- Grades: 🦆s will be allocated to learning and making an effort with my stuides instead of worrying about the grade.
- Having name brand clothes: 90% of my wardrobe is from H&M or a thriftshop. I can’t afford that lifestyle, but I also find it stupid to care more about what the label at the back of your neck says than how it looks and feels.
Let’s end on a quickfire round, shall we
- People seeing me with glasses
- Taking notes for the boys in class
- Wearing make up (unless I feel like it)
- Wearing high heels (ever)
- “Sugar free” “cake”
- Watching The Oscars
- Follower numbers
- Reality TV
- What other people think of me
As you’ll never be able to control whether people like you, you may as well do what you want. You do you!**
What do you want or need to stop giving so many 🦆s about? Let me know in the comments!
* Marie Kondo is author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing which Sarah Knight’s book is partly a parody of.
** This doesn’t apply to Nazi’s. They need to 🦆 off!
Disclosure: While this book is a gift, it was from a family member and not someone who wanted me to publish a review of it, so I technically don’t need to disclose this. I just want you to know that no matter what, I only share my honest opinion on here.