Every year since 2006 ACSM has, with the help of hundreds of people from the industry, made a list of the top 20 fitness trends of the upcoming year. Today we’re diving into the list and finding something fun to try in the new year!
#1 WEARABLE TECHNOLOGY
Remember when a watch + belt could measure your heart rate while working out? That was so cool! But my first Garmin watch from 2010 is nothing compared to the FitBit, Jawbone, AppleWatch and so on. They help you track your activity level, sleep patterns and intake – and the technology is only going to get cooler!
#2 BODY WEIGHT TRAINING
Body weight training is not a new thing. It has probably existed in some way ever since humans got bodies. But focusing on working out with no equipment is becoming more popular, as it’s super convenient, and forces you to discover new ways to move your body to have a fun and challenging workout anywhere.
If you want to try a body weight workout, take a look at these:
“I don’t have time” is the most common excuse for skipping a workout (and that’s okay sometimes). But it explains why HIIT is so popular; HIIT is short for High Intensity Interval Training. A HIIT workout consist of short bursts of high intensity work, a short period for you to catch your breath, then BAM at it again (BAM is short for Be Active, Man! I just made that up). This way you can have an effective workout with a short duration. Just remember that the risk of injury is higher, and your body requires extra rest after such an intense workout.
If you want to try a HIIT workout, I did just link to 2 above. So here’s a different one: Ab blasting tabata workout.
#4 STRENGTH TRAINING
Lifting is awesome! And it’s not just for young men who wants to look big – it’s great for women, seniors and children. Pretty much everybody, when it’s the right program. It’s great for rehab, preventing injuries, staying healthy – and it just feels great to set a new PR!
If you want to try lifting, take a look at some of these workouts.
- Lower-body workout with a sweaty finisher
- EMOM leg workout
- Strong legs: beginner friendly gym workout
- Upper-body & ab attack
#5 PERSONAL TRAINING
Not just as is “being trained by a person”, but as in “Educated, certified, and experienced fitness professionals”. Hiring a trainer is a great way to get a proper workout plan, learn technique, stay accountable – in a way that suits just you and your body.
- Group (personal) training: Both group and personal group training are on the list this year; Both are a great way to be social and active (plus group personal training is often cheaper).
- Exercise is medicine: This is a movement that encourages doctors and other health care professionals to make exercise part of the treatment.
- Yoga: Yoga is an awesome and alternative type of workout, by focusing on the mental aspect of health, getting in touch with your body and feeling good.
- Exercise and weight loss: Not a surprise for anyone. How many times did you hear somebody say “I want to start exercising and lose weight” at the start of the year?
- Fitness programs for older adults: The importance of staying active throughout you life is undeniable, and there’s focus on creating safe and age appropriate workouts for older adults.
- Functional Fitness: Training to do ‘natural’ movements from every day life and sport
- Outdoor activities: No gym, no problem! A walk in nature, a hike, playing sports – all ways to spend time outside and be active at the same time.
- Wellness coaching: Taking a broader approach to personal training, by focusing on the individual’s goals and values when it comes to health and wellbeing in general, rather than just exercise.
The top list is not that different from last year, but you can my post on 2016’s trends here.
There’s a lot of interesting stuff on this list – not just the weird ‘trends’ that magazines write about but nobody actually does. This year I’d love to try even more HIIT workouts as my knee injury is getting better and I can finally dabble with this type of workouts.
Are you going to try something new in 2017? Let me know in the comments!